What Causes Ingrown Toenails?
Have you ever suffered from the pain of an ingrown toenail? If you have, you know how much it can hurt. Here at Premier Foot, we want to help relieve you from the misery of this condition. Our physicians can give you the quality care you need and can also give you information about the common causes of ingrown toenails so that you can prevent future ingrown toenails.
There are several causes of ingrown toenails. Some of these include:
- Pressure from shoes (too tight or short)
- Fungus infection
- Injury (stubbed toe)
- Poor foot structure
How Can Ingrown Toenails Be Prevented?
If you are careful and take care of your feet, you may be able to avoid ingrown toenails. However, it is important to note that you may not always be able to prevent them. Heredity or poor foot structure are causes which are usually out of your control. If you do not have either of these problems, there are a few ways that ingrown toenails can be prevented:
- When trimming your toenails, cut them straight across. Avoid rounding the corners.
- Make sure your socks and shoes are not too tight.
- Keep your feet clean as much as possible.
What Are Some Ways to Treat an Ingrown Toenail?
If you get an ingrown toenail, there are a few different treatments you can try to get rid of it. Some of these treatments include:
- Soaking your foot in soapy, warm water a few times every day.
- Wearing loose fitting shoes to avoid making the issue worse.
- Seeing a doctor about getting a prescription if you believe it is infected.
- Getting surgery, in extreme cases.
By knowing the causes of ingrown toenails, you can help prevent this issue from occurring. If you experience any pain, don’t hesitate to contact us at Premier Foot. Our McKinney foot doctor is ready to serve you at (214) 778-1239.