Prevent Foot and Ankle Injuries
Every athlete or exercise enthusiast dreads an injury. Being sidelined for even a few days can make you feel restless and frustrated. Physicians who specialize in foot and ankle injuries like Achilles tendinitis in Plano and McKinney can help prevent and treat injuries. At Premier Foot, we can give you advice on how to treat your symptoms as well as prevent future issues.
Most Common Injuries
Your feet – including your ankles – have a combined 52 bones, 66 joints and 38 muscles and tendons. That’s a lot of risk. The most common injuries in the feet are:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinitis
The good news is that these injuries are treatable and largely preventable. There are a number of things you can do before, during and after exercise to minimize risk and treat injury:
- Warm up correctly to get your muscles ready for exercise
- Wear the right shoes for your foot type – wide, narrow, high arches, low arches
- Replace your shoes when the tread wears out – or roughly every six months if you exercise regularly
- Run on even ground and be careful on rough terrain
- If you have had a sprain or strain, consider wearing a brace or bandage during exercise
- Listen to your body – if nothing else, stop when it hurts
If you do get injured, it is best to seek medical advice for treatment so you can get back on the road as soon as possible. The physicians at Premier Foot specialize in treating and preventing injury. Give us a call today at (972) 424-8999.