Effective Stretches for Plantar Fasciitis
The team here at Premier Foot has a wealth of experience in helping people who are struggling with the painful foot condition known as plantar fasciitis. We work with our clients to offer a variety of preventative and treatment measures for this condition, which is entirely manageable. The following stretches can both help treat and prevent foot pain and injuries:
The Towel Stretch
The towel stretch involves three easy steps:
- Extend one leg in a full locked out position, keeping the knee straight and toes up.
- Wrap a towel toward the ball of the foot, surrounding the toes as well.
- Grab an end of the towel in each hand and gently pull the toes back toward the body.
This stretch works best when the outstretched leg is slightly elevated by tucking the opposite leg underneath the leg being stretched.
The Calf Stretch
The calf stretch is an excellent stretching exercise for plantar fasciitis, requiring the following simple movements:
- Place both hands firmly on a wall, keeping the arms fully erect and straightforward.
- Bend the front knee slightly and place the back foot firmly on the ground behind with the entire foot planted on the floor.
- Push the hips toward the wall; this will cause a noticeable—but not painful—stretch in the calf muscle.
- Hold the stretch for ten seconds. Repeat 10-20 times; switch legs halfway through so both calves are properly stretched.
Professional Care is the Key
While these stretches are simple, it is advisable to consult with a professional before attempting them. The team of professionals at Premier Foot is here to help you properly learn effective stretching techniques and other treatments at our McKinney foot clinic. For more information, please give us a call at (972) 424-8999.